RECIPE: TRADE THE CHIPS FOR THESE HEALTHY BELL PEPPER BUFFALO CHICKEN NACHOS ***VEGAN OPTION ***
BUFFALO CHICKEN (makes enough for this recipe & to use for other meals!)
- 2-3 chicken breasts thawed
- 1-2 medium celery stalk(s) cut into thirds
- 1/2 medium onion chopped in long strips
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (or more to cover the chicken)
- 1/2 cup of cayenne pepper sauce (I used Frank's RedHot Original) or feel free to add more like I did for extra spice!
BELL PEPPER NACHOS (adjust amount of bell peppers for how many you plan to serve!)
**** Use only the ingredients below for the VEGAN VERSION***
- 1 bag of mini bell peppers (I used 6-8 mini bell peppers)
- 1 container of Better Bean Refried Beans (found at Whole Foods)
- These beans are cooked with vegetables, spices, salt, oil and vinegar, instead of lard, chicken broth or other animal products!
- Daiya Cheddar Cheese (sliced or sprinkle cheese) (found at Whole Foods)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- salsa (optional)
BUFFALO CHICKEN (Optional): (COOKING TIME: 2-4.5 hours)
Place the thawed chicken breasts in the crockpot. Add the celery & onion. Pour chicken broth into the crockpot until the chicken is fully covered. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
Remove the chicken from the crockpot and discard the broth and vegetables. Shred the chicken with a fork and return to the crockpot. Add the hot sauce and cook on high for 30 minutes. Remove and use some for the nachos and store some for later! Also, I have left my chicken on low on the crockpot for up to 8-10 hours on a work day but DON'T PANIC it will be just fine when you get home!
BELL PEPPER NACHOS: (COOKING TIME: 10 minutes) (Use only below for VEGANS)
Set oven to 350 degrees! Cover pan with aluminum foil & spray with coconut oil. Cut mini bell peppers in half, remove seeds, and line on sheet. Top with buffalo chicken (optional), refried beans, and daiya cheese. Pop in the oven until cheese melts (about 10 minutes for the Daiya Cheese). Remove and add avocado and salsa if you want! Perfect lite dinner before bed and definitely a game day app too!
Enjoy Your Nacho Fix Fit Friends!!!