AIR FITNESS REVIEW: 5 MYTHS KEEPING YOU FROM AERIAL YOGA
Aerial yoga is the latest craze showing up all over social media. But what exactly is it? Aerial yoga is the practice of traditional yoga using silk hammocks to suspend you from the ceiling. Initially when I came across this practice of yoga I laughed to myself thinking there is no way in hell I could do that! After my second attempt at aerial yoga at AIR in Los Angeles I am ready once and for all to break the 5 most common myths regarding these aerial classes at AIR.
1. IT LOOKS TOO HARD, I CAN'T DO IT.
MY FIRST THOUGHT EXACTLY. I saw photos all over Instagram with girl's in a full split and in these insane, intricate poses that I just assumed I wasn't capable of. The Foundation AIR class is great for beginners and first-timers. This class focuses on all of the basics and really allows you to ease into doing more intricate tricks and poses on the silk hammocks. The instructors are extremely helpful and are aware that you may need extra attention throughout class. Feel free to ask questions at any time during class, as they are very happy to help! (see above)
2. AERIAL YOGA IS ONLY FOR WOMEN.
WHAT?!?! SO NOT TRUE! AIR welcomes everyone! All shapes, sizes, and ages can try aerial yoga! AIR even offers a KIDS class during the week. If you are not comfortable taking one of their regular scheduled classes you can call and set up a private session in the studio with an instructor. My brother joined me for his first time and loved how aerial yoga challenged him! Before taking the class he was looking at photos saying "I don't think I am going to be good at this" Well look at him now! (see above)
3. I CAN'T RELAX DURING AERIAL YOGA.
FALSE. This is YOGA remember? I think most people have this idea in mind that you are hanging from these silks throughout the entire class, but you are not! The class also consists of basic yoga poses and stretches and the instructor really makes sure you are incorporating your yoga breathe during the practice. Even being hung upside down I was able to relax by just allowing my body to hang and continue breathing in and out of my nose, just like you would during a vinyasa flow.
4. SWINGING IN SILKS ISN'T A WORKOUT.
COME ON NOW. We aren't just doing this for shits and giggles...even though it is really fun, it is an incredible workout! The core is constantly engaging during many of the movements like the pike plank I am doing in the photo above. In order to get into many of the poses you have to use your body weight and strength. The hammocks also really allow us to push ourselves beyond our limits. For example, I was able to hold a plank much longer and stay in poses for a longer period of time because the hammock supported me.
5. I CAN'T AFFORD TO TRY AERIAL YOGA.
REALLY? Look I have lived in a city now for 2 years and I GET IT! There is so much to do and our budget doesn't always allow for it. At AIR they make it affordable to try. Your first class is only $1. By using the app Mind Body or by going to their website airfitnow.com you can use the following codes to get this offer: Chicago: AIRCHICAGO Los Angles: AIRLA Charlotte: AIRCHARLOTTE . And for all you Classpassers out there you also have access to AIR! I think it is safe to say we can all spare $1! It is well worth it!
SO THERE YOU HAVE IT! I hope I encouraged you all to try AIR and not be scared or intimidated! If you decide to try it out be sure to choose what class is best for you! Below are the class descriptions offered at AIR Los Angeles:
- AIR FOUNDATION
- Introduces new clients to aerial exercises on the silk hammocks.
- AIR (ADVANCED CLASS)
- Pilates on the aerial hammocks combined with yoga & barre work.
- FREE AIR KIDS
- Ages 6-13 are welcome to this workshop. Parents can come in after for photos.
- EXPRESS AERIAL ABS
- 25 minute ab blast using the aerial silks
- AIR CHOREOGRAPHY
- Learn choreography to move around in the silk and become performance ready.
- AIR BOOTCAMP
- Fast-paced strength circuits combined with cardio intervals using the silks.
- MINDFUL MEDITATION
- 30 minute guided meditation in the silks
*all classes are 60 minutes long unless stated otherwise
HOW TO SIGN UP & LOCATION INFO
As I mentioned before if you are in LA use the code AIRLA for your first class for $1 on Mind Body or through their website airfitnow.com . AIR offers classes in Illinois, North Carolina, Colorado, and Alaska. Below are locations for my LA and Chicago Fit Friends:
- Los Angeles: 8474 West 3rd St. in West Hollywood [Free parking in lot]
- Chicago: 357 West Erie St. in River North [paid street parking]
- Chicago: 2217 N. Clybourn in Lincoln Park [free street parking]
- No tennis shoes needed. Class is taken bare foot so feel free to wear flip flops!
- Mats are provided for
- Cubbies available for belongings
- Bring something to take photos! There is always time after every class for this!
- Arrive early to sign first time waiver
HANG IN THERE MY FRIENDS!