12 THINGS I LOVED IN 2017
1. GROUP WORKOUTS
So as many of you may already know I am an Orangetheory Fitness ADDICT! Allow me to tell you why. Working out in a group setting has introduced me to some amazing new friends, it has challenged and pushed me beyond my limits, and it has motivated me in ways that wouldn't be possible at your average gym (whether that be running next to a cute guy/celeb on the treadmill, being motivated by other friends in the class, or being challenged by amazing coaches who care about your fitness journey and goals). Orangetheory has become my fitness family and community. Aside from your normal 1 hour class, this gym has offered workshops outside of class, motivating challenges such as the Triple Buddy Challenge (you and two partners complete 45 workouts in one month to be entered to win prizes), the weight loss challenge, and Hell Week (complete 5 out of 8 super hard classes and win a t-shirt). For me it never gets boring. So maybe OTF isn't for you...and that is TOTALLY OKAY. What works for one person may not work for someone else. BUT my advice to you is to try a group workout sometime this next year! It could change your life!
2. CELSIUS ENERGY DRINK
OKAY... so I PROMISE you I only became a Celsius Lifer Ambassador this month...BUT I have been a Celsius consumer and fan for the past 3 years! This IS my coffee habit! Celsius is a fitness drink that accelerates your metabolism, burns body fat, and provides your body with the healthy energy it needs every single day. It contains green tea extract and other vitamins, which is a healthy way to get that caffeine flowing in your system. I drink half a can before my workout to get me revved up and get my heart rate going and since I personally can't consume that much caffeine without getting a headache and nauseated, I drink the other half after my workout to keep my energy high. Find out more about Celsius here.
3. PASTA ALTERNATIVES
- EXPLORE CUISINE PASTA: Pastas made with black beans, soybeans, edamame, chickpea, brown rice, or lentils. To find this pasta near you use the store locator. Or find on Amazon.
- BANZA PASTA: Pastas made with chickpeas. Comes in all shapes and sizes! To find this pasta near you use the store locator. Or find on Amazon.
- SWEET POTATO NOODLES: Many stores such as Trader Joe's and Ralph's sell sweet potato noodles already spiralized and in a noodle shape but I find that to get a little pricey sometimes compared to buying sweet potatoes and spiralizing yourself. BUT more often than not at Ralph's I find the sweet potato noodles marked half price because they are past the "sell date" but they are completely fine and normal to cook! To do it yourself invest in this handy dandy spiralizer from Amazon!
- ZOODLES: same thing! Only this time with Zucchini! Pretty incredible right? You can eat as much "pasta" as you want because in reality you are consuming veggies galore! Top it off with Kite Hill's Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese and you are golden my friend.
- SPAGHETTI SQUASH: So I am sure you get the idea by now.. you can basically turn a lot of different vegetables into a pasta base! Use the inside of the spaghetti squash, add some marinara sauce, and you have yourself some pasta!
4. THREE BOOKS I COULDN'T PUT DOWN
- YOU ARE A BADASS... How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by: Jen Sincero. Recommended for men and women teenagers and up. Jen shares inspiring real life events to help you realize the Badass that you are and teaches you how to love what you can't change. Shop on Amazon.
- THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK by Mark Manson. This male blogger is so raw, honest, and tells you how it is the entire book. He really helped me gain a lot of perspective on life, love, and so much more. Recommended for men and women teenagers and up. Shop on Amazon.
- MATERIAL GIRL, MYSTICAL WORLD by Ruby Warrington. From her dream job as an influential fashion journalist to creating her very own online magazine about spirituality for modern women, Ruby helps us all discover our own path in so many areas of our life from love to sex, relationships, to fashion, beauty, health, and wellness. Recommended for adult women and/or any women interested in modern spirituality and practices, astrology, and bettering yourself and your life... Also I marked some pages that I would love to share with some men in my life :) Shop on Amazon.
This year I decided to stop TALKING and start DOING... For example, the road trip one of my best friend's and I have been talking about for over a year... I finally stopped talking about it, started to research and plan, and we did it! We spent 11 days exploring all of Utah's National Parks, Arizona, the Grand Canyon, and Vegas. It was a BLAST. This year I also traveled to New York, Yosemite National Park, San Diego, and attended a yoga retreat in Nicaragua. I have made traveling one of my top priorities because it is something that keeps me grounded and happy. I encourage you all to book the trip you keep talking about and researching! Even if it means going alone. I didn't know anyone going on my yoga retreat and it was easily one of my best trips ever! You will learn so much about yourself, the world, and you will learn to appreciate so much more by traveling.
6. INTENTION SETTING
Over the past few months after reading many spiritual themed/self-help books and attending multiple health and wellness workshops, I developed the habit of taking one day off a week from high intensity workouts and instead I partake in my very own special morning ritual that goes a little something like this... I turn the lights off, light my favorite candle, YouTube soothing music (usually beach waves and nature noises), crystals in hand, focus on my breathe, deep inhales and exhales, clear my head, and I write down anything that comes to mind during this little meditation as well as new intentions I have for myself for the next week ahead. I have found that taking 10 minutes a week to practice this ritual has improved my mental health and well-being tremendously. It has helped me stay on track and it has motivated me to make those desires and intentions become a reality.
7. YOGA TO THE MAX
I don't do yoga often... but when I do I love to experiment with all types of yoga. This year I went from sunset yoga to sunrise yoga to goat yoga (YES you heard that right actual YOGA WITH GOATS...more on that HERE) AND yoga in a room filled with hundreds of butterflies...you better believe that practice was beyond magical. I can't wait to see where my yoga journey takes me next! I encourage you to take on whatever practice works for you! Take a chance, try something new, maybe even look into a yoga retreat :)
8. DAIRY FREE ICE CREAM
Did you hear the NEWS?!?! HALO TOP jumped on the Vegan Bandwagon and came out with some Dairy Free Flavors...FINALLY!!! I have yet to get my hands on them but one of my other favorite Dairy Free Ice Creams is still SO DELICIOUS ...AND Pressed Juicery's soft serve freezes made from juices from fruits & veggies and almonds & coconuts. Ben & Jerry's is so high school. Beat the bloat and try these guilt-free ice cream alternatives!
Spending time in nature has become one of my favorite things to do over the years. This past year I had the opportunity to go on so many incredible hikes which had so many healthy benefits for my mind and body. From Yosemite National Park to my Mighty 5 Utah Roadtrip (Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Zion National Park, Bryce National Park, & Capitol Reef National Park) to hiking to Arizona's beautiful Devil's Bridge, Antelope Canyon, and Horseshoe Bend. There is so much to explore, so take a break from Netflix and chilling and TAKE A HIKE!
10. FITNESS EVENTS
I am the QUEEN of these. Whether it be a class or workshop put on by a social media influencer, the Propel CoLabs Fitness Festival with Shay Mitchell, Scott Foley, and celebrity trainers like Gunnar Peterson, the Vegan Food Fest, running 5K's, or my absolute favorite, the Fit Expos across the country (I personally attend the LA and Anaheim one every year). I always leave these events with new friends, new knowledge, and lots of new goodies to try, many that I have incorporated in my everyday diet and routine!
11. MURDEROUS SHOWS
SO NOT FITNESS RELATED BUT... I can't get enough! Call me crazy for being into these types of shows but if you are too here were some of my favorites this year!
- MINDHUNTER: Netflix
- LAW & ORDER TRUE CRIME: THE MENENDEZ MURDERS: NBC
- HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER SEASON 4: ABC
- BIG LITTLE LIES: HBO
- AMERICAN CRIME STORY: THE PEOPLE VS. OJ SIMPSON: FX...okay sort of last year but still GOOD!
- DAHMER ON DAHMER: A SERIAL KILLER SPEAKS: Oxygen
- MAKING A MURDERER: Netflix... okay not going to lie had some trouble getting into this one but might give it another try!
12. JOURNALING, BLOGGING, JUST WRITING !
When was the last time you took a pen to a piece of paper to write down something personal that pertains to you? Not to take notes at work, or make a grocery list, or sign your name on a dotted line...I know I may be biased because I LOVE TO write with pen and paper in journals...I have a separate journal for almost everything... one for intention setting and manifesting, one for fitness and food tracking, one for love and relationships, one for notes I take on books I am reading, and well you get the idea! Try it sometime! It is liberating, empowering, and so personal. I have used journals to help me look back and recognize how much I have grown and to accept the person I have become. It is truly a healthy habit to get into. As for blogging... don't be the talker...be the doer... If starting a blog is something you have thought about repeatedly GO FOR IT! My blog has become one of my most prized possessions and accomplishments! It is like the book I have kept talking about writing and publishing... (ONE DAY...I will know when the time is right!).
I hope you all leave this post with some sort of inspiration and motivation to try something new! I have loved sharing so much of my life with you all during this 2nd year of my blog! I am looking forward to so many more posts in the future!
BRING IT 2018,
Love Yourself And Love Your Life Fit Friends,